Monday, February 15, 2016

St. George week five done!!! And because I'm behind week six too!

This was an interesting week for sure.  I definitely had to keep the big picture in mind a few times.  But overall it was a solid week and I'm feeling decent for the race.  Here's the overview:

Monday:  Nice recovery day.  8K twice and the aqua class.  Then another paint nite!


Tuesday:  Normally I would've done my speed session this day, but some things got turned around and it was much more important to be with friends.  But I did get in a nice 12K walk where I got moving pretty nicely.


Wednesday:  Double speed day!  Doing my usual 10K fartlek with 800 hard/200 medium.  For the first time in quite a while I broke 50:00!  I never felt like I was going super fast, just strong and solid, and it was so nice to break 50.  And the second half was faster than the first half, which always makes me happy.   In the PM I did the 30x30/30.  Since speed got pushed a day later it was going to push up against Thursday's long one, so I wasn't going to push the second speed session quite as fast.  I was still going along pretty nice.  The sun was going down and along a few of the neighborhood streets the sun was directly in my eyes and even with my sunglasses on I couldn't see anything.  I forgot that at the end of the street was a bit of a depression for water run off.  So as I was going full tilt I took a step and thought my leg was going to hit the ground in one spot but it slammed down lower/later than expected and snapped my knee back.  I didn't think too much about it at the time.  However, later that evening it started to hurt a bit.

Thursday:  Got up and behind my right knee was pretty sore.  I was going to do 33K.  but as I started off towards the path my leg was hurting more and more.  So I turned around and called it quits at 16K.  I then spent time going from the cold pool to the warm bath and took some anti-inflammatories.   I also called the chiro and got an appointment for Friday. 

Arline and I went to see Miss Saigon.  A very interesting production, and a strange choice for St. George.  But I enjoyed it!


Friday:  Went to the chiro.  Hitting the ground wrong had totally thrown me out of whack, and my poplitius was a bit strained.   He suggested that I take the day off.  So a bunch of stretching, yoga, cold/warm baths and rest was my excitement.


Saturday:  I wanted to get in some long stuff, but didn't want to stress the back of my leg too much.  So I did a nice 20K in the morning and 10K in the evening.  I was happy with how it went, only a little pain.  It's feeling much, much better.


Sunday:  Speed day!  I woke up to almost no discomfort, which made me very, very happy!   I did 10K of 3K hard, 1K medium, 3K hard, 1K medium, 2K hard.  I didn't push really hard, more of a pace workout.  Then in the PM I did 10x30/30 just to get my legs going a little. 

So the week ended up being 125K.  Decently done, not my best week, but happy with everything overall.

Week Six:
Monday:  Aqua class!

Tuesday:  The usual speed day!  10K fartlek, this time 49:56, a second time under 50.  Made me super happy.  The afternoon 30x30/30 didn't go as well, I was tired and something I ate made my tummy upset.  But I got to pet the cutest puppy!
(Really cool 3D artwork on the pavement)


Wednesday:  Easy 8K with my friend.

Thursday:  25K in the AM, then 5K at the indoor track in the PM.  I realized that the temperature in Santee wasn't going to go down so I'd better train in as hot of conditions as I could.  So I got a week trial to the big gym here which has a flat 10 laps to the mile track.  I go there and wear a bunch of clothes and sweat like crazy.  they also have a sauna so I've been doing that too.  Then I did 45 minutes on the elliptical too.

Friday:  10K on the indoor track and sauna again.

Saturday:  Half marathon.  I felt awful but actually moved how I wanted to.  Had breakfast and then went in the sauna again.

Sunday:  The half wore me out a little more than I thought, probably some of the nasty hills.  So I took Sunday easy, doing some elliptical, using the sauna, and then walking around the Parade of Homes and an Art Festival.

Total for the week was 117K. 

No comments:

Post a Comment