Friday, July 17, 2015

Do you really want me to wish you good luck?





How many times have you been right before a big event like a race, a test, a job interview, a concert, and people say, "Good Luck!"?  Quite a bit, right?    We all know what they mean.  Urban dictionary defines the phrase good luck thusly:

1.  A phrase used to wish someone well in an endeavor.
2.  Sometimes a pointless phrase if the task at hand does not even remotely involve or require luck.

I always appreciate it when someone wishes me well.  It's great to know that people want me to succeed.  And it's a socially acceptable phrase to say to someone.  But what does it really mean? 

Dictionary.com defines luck as:
1.  The force that seems to operate for good or ill in a person's life, as in shaping circumstances, events, or opportunities:
2.  Good fortune; advantage or success, considered as the result of chance:
3.  A combination of circumstances, events, etc., operating by chance to bring good or ill to a person:
 
So I'm getting ready for my race or my musical performance and the words are "I hope you have good fortune or success, all based on chance."  
 
In high school I had a great clarinet teacher.  He instilled in me a great work ethic, taught me that working hard and not just practicing but perfect practicing paid off and taught me how to play my scales REALLY FREAKING FAST.  One thing he always said before I had a big concert or competition was, "I hope your skill and preparation come together at the optimal moment."  He knew there was no luck to it.  He knew that for me to get that really hard phrase perfect was not luck, it was the hours of dedicated practice I had spent on it.  It was not chance that would make sure that I didn't mess up tricky phrases or get nervous and freeze up.  Instead it was studying, hard work, and practice, practice, practice.   
 
The same is true for an athletic event.  Before a race it's not luck that's going to get me a PB, it's not chance that's going to make sure I don't face the wrath of the judges.  I have spent hours, and hours, and hours and put in miles, and miles, and miles to get where I am.  I have worked on my technique, I have studied, I have lifted weights, done ab work, cross trained, watched videos, talked to others, and read whatever I can find.  There's no chance involved!  Luck has nothing to do with it! 
 
The only place in my life I feel I need luck is in my garden.  I still can't always figure out why some plants do so well and some don't.  Half my eggplants are doing great and half are just sad and still trying to limp along.  I have no idea why some are good and some aren't.  I got them from the same place, they're planted in the same area, they get the same amount of water.  Same thing happened with my beets this year.  But from all I've learned you sometimes just never know for sure with plants/seeds.   But funny thing, no one ever wishes me good luck with my garden! 
 
Next time you're getting ready to encourage someone before a big event think about what you're saying.  Is "good luck" really appropriate or something else?  Could you say something like "I hope all your hard work really pays off!"  or "You've really prepared for this, I know you'll see success!"  And also, be able to say to yourself, "I've worked hard, I've prepared, I'm ready for big things!  Today is my day!" 
 
So go out there and prepare, work hard, practice, and get ready to kick bootie at whatever it is you're trying to do!

No comments:

Post a Comment