Friday, January 22, 2016

Yesterday was a PR day!

My international friends are probably thinking, there's that silly American saying PR instead of PB (personal record instead of personal best) like the rest of the world does, but for once I really mean PR!  On advice of my chiropractor I took yesterday super easy, giving my poor, tired SI joint a break.  And it was a great day to do it since I had two, count them two, public relations (PR, get it!) engagements!

First one started off at 10:00 by heading to the radio station and doing a radio show for the Huntsman World Senior Games.  What fun!  The hosts, Jeff and Kyle, were fantastic and so easy to talk to.  The time absolutely flew by.  It played on the radio yesterday and will be uploaded onto the Huntsman website next week.  Once I have the link I'll post it so people can listen, if they'd like to. 


I then headed "home" and my host-est with the most-est and I went out for some fun time.  We had a really nice (and healthy!) lunch, walked around some art galleries where I saw some of the most beautiful pieces.  I'm sure the locals can get tired of all the views of Zion and the red rocks around here, but I sure love it!  

We goofed around and did some errands and drove past a running store.  Well, of course I had to go in.  So we headed in and I was looking around and one of the girls who worked there all of a sudden goes, "Are you that speed walking girl?"  She had read the story in St. George Health and Wellness Magazine!  She was super nice and very complimentary.  I only bought a couple GUs from them, but it was cool that someone else randomly recognized me.

The evening equaled a trip to the City Council meeting where I was given a commendation by the City of St. George, from the Mayor, for me adopting St. George as my training grounds before the Olympic Trials.  Everyone was so nice and I got a standing ovation from the crowd (and there was actually a huge crowd, City Council meetings are apparently a popular thing in St. George).  The editor of St. George Health and Wellness Magazine held a really nice little reception for me afterwards and presented me with a  cupcake!  I love cupcakes!  And it's red velvet!  I'm saving it for after Sunday's workout where it'll be okay if I gluten myself.  I had to hide it though because it keeps staring and calling at me. 

After that a group of us went to a sushi restaurant and had a wonderful time eating and socializing.  While I love to train and love being focused and working really hard, it is fun to feel like a human being now and then doing stuff that "normal" people do.  

And just to get a little more PR in today, I started my day off with a follow up interview for the magazine that'll run next month.  That was fun! 

And now, back to training!  (and waiting not very patiently for my cupcake on Sunday....)

No comments:

Post a Comment