Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Moving forward

Now I can train and travel in style!  Thanks Women's Sports Foundation and Gatorade!


Yesterday I didn't get tired and feel that overwhelming need for a nap in the afternoon.  This has not happened in FOREVER and I take it as a very good sign that the iron infusion is working!  However I might have overdone it a little...  I did a ton yesterday, all those silly jobs that I haven't done in ages, and worked out.  So today I'm a little more tired, but still not like I've been the past few months.  Progress!!!!

Since it appears that this iron deficiency will be shortly taken care of and things can resume as normal ---- no wait ----- better than normal ---- I'm happy to announce some exciting things coming up! 

One thing I've learned the last 3ish years of training I've done is that I do well at small training camps.  They ramp up my training, help me focus, and give me people to train with.  Dave and I have talked quite a bit about the next four years.  For a while immediately prior to the World Team Championships I was thinking of making it my swan song and retiring after that.  But with rumblings of the possibility of a women's 50K being added at various events I know I can't stop now.  And especially with the possibility of feeling like my old self with higher iron.  So we have devised and planned out different strategies for moving forward.

Thanks in part to my Travel and Training Grant from the Women's Sports Foundation I will be going to New Zealand for a two-month training camp starting the middle of October!  I am so excited!  There's a great group of speedy junior walkers close by, a running club close by that welcomes walkers, and great training weather it's a fantastic choice of a place to really get things going.  Add in the fact that I'll be able to compete in their 50K national championships and getting to go see Lord of the Rings sets it could hardly be more exciting!   Seriously, I'm going to get to see Hobbiton and Mount Doom!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   I'm so stoked!

We're quite lucky that Dave has a good job, and when I'm home in the summer I can work the farm and the garden and process what I harvest.  So while I don't work a job I'm able to save us money by growing food that can last us through the year (depending on crop success, of course).  However, a trip this long and far away takes a significant amount of funds.  The Travel and Training Grant is a HUGE help.  But now is when I could really use people's support.  If anyone has ideas of sponsorships, or know people who like to help athletes, please let me know!  Also, remember you can buy all your training/racing needs from my athlete store through AthleteBiz, and give HTwo a try!

I want to make myself accountable, so I'm going to list all the various things I'm going to do to improve and get to the next step.

1.  I will reach my ideal racing weight.  Thanks to Ian Whatley and his connections at the Furman University Sports Science department I was able to go through a plethora of tests and through a bunch of math and formulas we came up with a number that should be my ideal racing weight.  This is of course assuming I shed the fat and not just let my muscles waste away.  The time off training has helped me kick start this process and I'm already sliming down!  I'm focused and determined and will reach this goal!

2.  I will focus more on the "little" things that aren't actually so little.  Here are things sometimes let fall through the cracks that I will now seal up so things won't fall through.  For example:
A. hydration.  HTwo will totally help with this!  Drinking is something I'm not the best at.  I have to be reminded to drink enough fairly often.  One thing I will do to combat this is fill up water bottles at the beginning of the day and make sure I get through at least those bottles, if not more.  That way I will make sure I drink a minimum amount each day.
B. Core work.  I'm generally pretty good about it, but there's always room for improvement.  And I've found the stronger my core gets the better my technique is.  So bring on the six pack!
C. Strength/condition work.  Again, I do some, but this is a very good area for me to improve upon.  Nothing crazy, but I think twice or three times a week will do nicely.
D. Mobility.  That's one thing I learned in Rome, my hips are tight!  I was shown some amazing mobility drills/stretches that I can consistently work on to get things flowing.
E. Yoga/stretching.  Definitely something I let slide at times.  But if I'm going to be upping my training I'll need to make sure my recovery is able to keep up, including keeping supple.

3.  I will find a good weekly mileage.  I had upped my mileage a few times, and a few of the weeks went really well and some didn't.  Looking back now I see it was probably because of the low iron more than the actual training. 

4.  Keep up on my iron!  This actually probably should've been first.  I will take my supplements.  I will eat my red meat (which I enjoy) and spinach (also enjoy) and other iron-rich foods.  I will not drink tea near my meal times. 

5.  I will make myself accountable!  I will post updates on how things are going.  Feel free to ask me how things are going.  Keep me accountable!  Supporting each other is how we can all improve!  Let's do just that :) 

So, there you have it.  The beginnings of a plan.  The beginnings of a fresh start.  The beginnings of exciting things to come.  I know I haven't yet reached my potential and I'm going to work as hard as I can to reach it. 

And as promised, here is the link to my athlete store.  Please use and share.  And go to my FB athlete page and like it!  The more I can show that people watch/follow/are interested in me the more likely sponsors will be interested in me!  Thanks and happy training.

https://www.athletebiz.us/athletes/erin-taylor-talcott/store

https://www.facebook.com/RacewalkerErin/

No comments:

Post a Comment