Saturday, September 5, 2015

The results are in....



First of all, how could you have a bad day when it starts off playing with kittens!!!!  No, I didn't take one home, four is enough, but man are they cute and can bring a smile to your face :)

I had some good news yesterday, and a good day in general.  The day started off tackling the HUGE pile of tomatoes in my kitchen to get them canned.  Blanching them and peeling them took me probably about 3 hours total.  Today they're getting canned and I think I'll have about 7 quarts, which is awesome.  Then I went to the gym.  This was my fifth class.  It was open gym day, so we get to work on whatever skills we need work on.  Since I don't know many of the Olympic lifts it means I have a lot to work on!  I was getting help doing cleans and they were going really well.  Then I did some pull up work and dip work.  I've been working on pull ups as strict pull ups, but if you've ever seen a cross fit competition you know that they don't do them strict, they get a bit of a swing in there that helps them go faster.  I asked if someone could teach me that.  We worked on it and it was going really well.   The lady that was helping me had me move from the bar over to the rings to work on it and we decided we'd do the knee ups.  I'd been doing those on the bar and I'm decent at them.  You hang there and then bring your knees up as high as you can so it ends up looking like you're sitting in a chair but hanging from your arms.  Some people are super strong and can bring their legs up straight all the way to their toes.  I looked at them and thought, wow, it'll take me months to be able to do that.  Some can do it with no swing, but you can also have the swing in there to get the toes up.  So we were working on the swing and the knees up on the rings and I thought, what the heck, I'll try to bring my toes all the way up, and I did!!!!  I freaked out so much I had to drop off the rings.  I love this gym because everyone was super excited for me and happy and getting high fives, it's such a rush.  Then I did two more sets of five!  People said they were very impressed and I was on cloud nine.  My hands hurt like heck with all the hanging and lifting of bars, but I assume they'll get used to it eventually.  So it was a really good workout day!

Then as I was at the post office mailing off my passport to get my visa for China my doctor called.  And...... IT'S NOT A STRESS FRACTURE!!!!  What I do have is a low-grade strain of the lower fibers of the anterior tibialis and extensor halluces longus just proximal to the myotendinous junctions, with a small amount of surrounding fluid.   I'm still trying to figure out exactly what all that is, but I do know it's no where near as serious as a stress fracture.   What a load off my mind.  I have some people to talk to about it, see what can be done/healing time for it, but I think I'll be good by China! 

As if the day couldn't get any better from there one of my athletes is coming to spend the weekend and work on technique and he had an AWESOME workout.  He really has good body awareness for a guy (he's competed in Irish dancing a lot, guess that's why) and is able to really think about and feel things that I suggest.  Where he was getting almost no hip rotation before he was able to really open up and looked fantastic and FAST!  I'm so lucky to be involved in his race walking career and help him.  The sky is absolutely the limit for him and his potential. 

Add to that a really solid hour of working hard and sweating on the elliptical at the end of the day and I'd say (minus peeling tomatoes for hours on end) the day couldn't have been much better.  Things are looking up!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment