Tuesday, June 22, 2021

A year in recap and the 20K Olympic Trials

 




Well, I haven't written in forever.  I see my last post was over a year ago.  The Pandemic affected everyone differently, and I sort of went into my own shell.  I, like so many, was frustrated, devastated and upset.  When they canceled World Team Champs I stopped training for a while.  I've always been very goal oriented.  I train for specific events.  When there are no events I feel lost and adrift.  The same is true for me in music.  If I don't have a concert coming up I don't practice.  Apparently it's how I'm wired.

With all the races cancelled Dave and I were trying to figure out what to do with our pent up energy.  We decided to buy a run down house and fix it up to resell it.  From June of 2020 til February of 2021 that's what we worked on.  It was a HUGE job, there was a fire in the house in 2012 and a hole in the roof and two of the foundation walls were falling inward.  There was no plumbing and very little electrical.  It was also a hoarder house, so the first three weeks we spent trying to get all the stuff out.  Luckily a lot of the stuff had value and we were (and still are) able to sell it.  We ended up building a beautiful house that someone is now (hopefully) enjoying.  And we made a nice profit on it.  

The downside of flipping the house was that we trained very little.  We were working extremely hard, many days were 10-16 hours of work, but not race walk specific training.  

When races started opening back up we started training, but it was very frustrating.  No one likes to feel slow and out of shape.  I gained weight over the Pandemic and that was literally weighing me down.  

I got excited for our 35K nationals and started training in earnest.  I even went to Santa Fe, New Mexico to train at altitude and to focus on training and to get out of the Upstate NY winter.  Training was going okay.  Not great, not horrible, but okay.  I felt safe going there during the Pandemic because basically all I did was train.  I didn't go out, didn't interact with anyone, just trained.  Grocery store obviously, but I'd have to do that in NY, and I'll tell you what, the people in Santa Fe ALL wore their masks all the time when in public.  So in a lot of ways I felt safer there than I did in New York.

As the race got closer we saw that California was having a spike in cases.  It just looked so bad.  I was going to have to drive there, since I had driven to Santa Fe, and the thought of being in an area with so many cases just made me nervous.  I didn't feel like it was the responsible thing to do in a Pandemic, so I decided to skip the race.  I also thought that if the Pan Am Cup were to happen I would qualify based on my 2020 performance.  Pan Am Cup didn't happen so all I was out was a national race and some prize money.

It took a while to get going.  Motivation came and went.  I thought I found someone to help me to reach my goals, but that person turned out to be a dud.  Oh well.  I've done well coaching myself before, I can do it again.  

One thing I've changed is that I'm going to the gym 3-5 times a week.  It's an interesting system, everyone has an area and there's either one or two trainers at the gym, they give you your set and them wander around the whole gym.  When you've done that set of whatever they give you what's next.  So you're getting personal guidance, but there's anywhere between 3-15 other people there at the same time.  It's going really well for me.  I've never been so strong in my core, ever.  And boy can I tell the difference in my technique.  It's helped me get fitter faster than I probably would've if I was just walking and cross training on my own.  It has negatively affected some walking workouts, sometimes I'm just blown out, especially after leg days.  But I know I'm in the building phase so it's okay.  Most importantly it's fun, and that's really what I need and want is to go out and have fun. 

I've set some BIG goals for myself.  Goals that I think are just on the edge of what I can achieve.  But I believe.  And Dave believes.  And really that's all I need.  I may wish that others believed in me, but when it comes down to it it really doesn't matter if no one else believes, I do.  

The 20K Olympic Trials are Saturday (it's currently Tuesday)  I'm very happy to have made it in.  I didn't have the qualifying time, but I made it based on top 15.  I go into the race ranked 13th.  There are members of the Race Walk Executive Committee who think that people like me (those who made it in on place and didn't hit the qualifying standard) shouldn't be allowed to race.  I intend to show them wrong.   

I know I'm getting older and that physiologically I'm going to have to work harder and harder and harder.  I'm prepared to do that.  I have my own personal motivation, the reasons that when I'm tired or don't want to go out, I think about those things and get fired up.   I remember that when I've truly believed in myself I have ALWAYS hit my goals.  I believe in myself now.  

The Trials on Saturday are a stepping stone.  They're a means to an end.  I'm very happy to be going to my third 20K Olympic Trials.  I have zero chance of making it to the Olympics so there's no pressure.  It's just going to be to prove to myself and reach my personal goals.  And hopefully show some of the youngsters that this old lady's still got it ;) 













2 comments:

  1. Great attitude and have FUN.
    I'm sure "this old lady still has it" is very accurate

    ReplyDelete