Friday, May 27, 2016

Pre La Coruna

Excited to be flying to Spain!

It's nice to have more time to sit and relax!  Tomorrow is the big day, racing in La Coruna.  The start list is very impressive, with so many amazing athletes.  I definitely have one of the slowest seed times and realize that I will be helping bring up the rear.  It's both frustrating and motivating.  I really do want to be a faster walker.  One thing being here does though is motivates me to work harder.  With the wonder of hindsight I wish I had come to big events like this earlier in my career.  I think being among the fastest in the world would be a huge inspiration.  My advice to those of you out there who think you're not fast enough to race with the speedsters, do it!  Like they say, if you want to be a good writer surround yourself with good writers.  So if you want to be a good walker, surround yourself with good walkers! 

Going out and doing my workout I get to see lots of people doing theirs and it's fascinating to me to watch everyone's technique.  So much to learn.  And one thing that's been a real surprise to me is how many people seem happy to see me.  I look at all these amazing athletes and feel like I'm nowhere in the same level they are, but one thing that I love about this sport is how friendly almost everyone is.  I try my best when I go to international races (and national races too, obviously) to go out and meet new people and be friendly.  I guess it works because I have people saying hi to me before I see them. 

My second shake out workout today I got to walk with a few of the Mexicans, who are just the friendliest and most welcoming group of people. 

I haven't done a ton since the race in Belgium.  Thursday was a travel day and I took it off, just stretching and doing my mobility drills.  Today I did a 5K in the morning and felt great.  Then we did some easy sightseeing and I did a second workout of a 4K warm up and 5x200 to get loose.  We walked around a little more and I'll stretch in a bit.

Sporting some awesome tan lines with the Roman lighthouse built in the 1st century in the back.  Talk about a feat of engineering.  My engineer husband said when we were inside, "how did they do that?"  As if this music major has any clue!


My plan for tomorrow is to get up and go for an easy stroll, eat and rest and walk around, and then race as good as I can.  I'm pretty sure my legs are fine from the 50K now.  Not positive, but I'm going to act as if they are fine!  I know if it wasn't for Dave giving me massages and keeping my legs loose I'd be in one heck of a horrible position for tomorrow.  My calves keep getting so tight and they also keep swelling up, but he's been awesome about rubbing them and keeping fluid in my legs moving around.  I've been getting some good sleep and my eating has been better after the gluten I ate after the races.  And maybe a few pieces of chocolate I had in Belgium....  ;) 

So my goal for tomorrow is as always, I'm going to race as smart as I can and do my absolute best.  I will enjoy being in a race with the best in the world.  I'm going to cheer on my friends who are going for Olympic qualifying times.  And most importantly, I'm going to have fun.


“When you’ve got something to prove, there’s nothing greater than a challenge.” – Terry Bradshaw

And you know what, I've got something to prove!


On a separate note, I have my first international athlete!  I'm so excited to be coaching Bianca Dittrich from Germany.  She is so excited about the opening up of 50K for women and excited to race a 50K.  Very exciting!  Look for some exciting things from Bianca, she's one impressive young lady, very tough, and very motivated!

My attempt at being artsy with my phone!


No comments:

Post a Comment