Sunday, October 25, 2015

30K nationals recap

What a day! This was my first big race both racing and having my athletes racing hard.  I was a little nervous how all that would work out, but I'm glad to say all went fine.  There were a few moments of stress and I'll have to work on the warm up aspect, making sure I'm warmed up properly, athletes are warmed up properly and everyone is ready to go.  But that's just a small thing to tweak.  



I'll start with the shorter distances and move up.  AJ did his first 20K.  This kid is awesome.  He's been walking less than an year, and most of that year has been mainly running with a few race walking workouts.  He did his first 10K in June and totally kicked it.  We decided to give 20K a try since he's such a strong kid.  He's a strong runner and walker and we thought he'd be good to handle it.  It was during cross country season, and his coaches weren't as understanding of his race walking as I could've hoped, so he did it based off two walking workouts per week and high running mileage.   I thought a good pace for him to try would be 5:30 per K pace, which would be a 1:50 for 20K.  He came through 55:49 for 10K, so nice and solid.  He then tightened up and did slow down the second half, but stayed strong and kept fighting.  AJ earned his first national title!  1:55:08 (I could have the seconds off by a few)  I am so proud of how hard he's working.  He's got goals and is ready to work hard to achieve them!  Keep your eyes out on AJ!




Katie did her first 30K.  We did it as a way to really focus on building her base so she could get nice and strong.  She spent a good solid month working with a PT in Michigan to strengthen her glutes up.  Since then her SI joint has been so much more stable, which has meant really consistent training.  We had the goal for her of 6:30 per K pace or under, which would be 3:15 for 30K.  She did her first 5K in 32, which would be a 3:12 and she finished just under 3:12!!!!  To top that off she placed fourth female in the national championship!  And her last lap was her fastest, by just a second, but fastest is fastest and  I'll take it!  I am just so proud of how hard she's been working and how focused she is on her goals.

Dave did the 30K, but continued on to do 50K.  For the first 35K he was so super consistent, right on pace.  He did his second best 50K time ever!  And what really makes me happy is he finished the race hydrated!  And his stomach wasn't upset (he's had problems with nausea before) and he didn't have any cramping!  I think that's such amazing progress.  And he placed 4th in the national 30K.  I'm super proud of him. 



My goal for the 30K was to be sub 2:45.  I wanted to out at 5:30 per K pace, which is 4:35 for a 50K and see if I could hold it.  I figured if I could do it for 30K today, then in five weeks I can go another 20K at that pace.  I started off a little under pace, but picked it up.  And made my last 5K my fastest and my last lap my fastest by 21 seconds to finish at 2:44:57.  I'm very happy with my effort and how I'm feeling afterwards.  I think I'll recover really well and quickly and will be back training for the 50K.  As some additional icing on the cake I won the 30K! 

So I'm really proud of everyone.  Everyone's been working hard and training consistently.  I can't wait to see everyone's progress!  I'm one super happy coach/athlete right now!



(bummer I don't have any pictures of Katie :(  But she was out there looking awesome the whole darned time!!!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment